1. Galleria degli Uffizi. Filled with paintings by the most noted Italian artists visitors marvel at the mastery of Botticelli, da Vinci, Michelangelo, and Raphael to mention a few. Purchase advance tickets.
2. The Basilica di Santa Maria del Fiore. Brunelleshi’s dome and Giotto’s Tower dominate the Fiorentine skyline. Visitor’s never tire of these two most visited highlights of Italian architecture
3. The National Museum of the Bargello. Located near the Piazza della Signoria is a museum that houses sculptures of leading artists of the Renaissance era.
4. The Accademia. Home to Michelangelo’s David and a not to be missed stop for any art lover. Photography not permitted. Purchase advance tickets.
5. Pitti Palace and the Boboli Gardens (across the Ponte Vecchio). Meticulous gardens and fountains can be found behind the palace. Give yourself enough time to walk around and enjoy the looking back at Florence for some superb. Opens at 8:15 with seasonal closing times.
6. Bridges. The Ponte Trinita’s renaissance structure features an elliptic arch bridge, rebuilt after WWII bombings. Contrast this with the famed medieval stone Ponte Vecchio that is now home to more jewelry and gold shops than you could imagine possible.
7. Santa Croce. Pay homage to highly noted and respected artists including Galileo, Michelangelo and Dante.
8. San Lorenzo. Deceivingly uninteresting on the outside, this agrarian church houses many Michelangelo sculptures in its sacristy.
9. Piazza della Signoria. This famous square has been a political centre since the middle ages. Enjoy the free open-air sculpture exhibit including a replica of Michelangelo’s David. See Florence’s town hall, the medieval Palazzo Vecchio. Then reward yourself with a nocciolo (hazelnut) ice-cream at the corner gelateria.
10. For the fashionista tyr a visit to the Palazzo della Mercanzia, home of the Gucci Museum and honoring 90 years of exceptional handbags and gowns.
USEFUL WEB LINKS
Advance ticket purchases for Florence museums:
Walking holidays in Tuscany: www.eviactive.com0